CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Monday, March 17, 2008

Old People and Kids

Someone recently asked me what was harder...taking care of children or an elderly parent.

I have to say they are both difficult.

Dealing with my mother (age 69) is sort of like being in a class of preschoolers. They can't do things for themselves...but they really really want to.

Dealing with my children is like being the ringmaster at the circus. You have to keep your eye on everyone or the entire program can be a disaster.

Over the past few years I've watched my mother slowly change from the person I grew up knowing, to a person who is very much dependent on me. Her favorite thing to do is cook, but now it's hard for her. The new stove confuses her. Recipes confuse her. Her creations just don't turn out like they used to.

As frustrating as it is for me, I know it must be hell for her.
To be a prisoner of your own body and mind.

The kids love to do things for her and when they are home she doesn't have to lift a finger. They wait on her hand and foot.

And when she's not here (hospitalized) they miss her intensely.

But I miss her even when she is here...because now the roles are different. Now I'm the caregiver and she is the child.

I cherish every moment we have together, becacuse I know how fleeting time can be.


~~~
Book We're Reading At Bedtime - The Best School Year Ever By Barbara Robinson (Chapers 3-4)

1 comment:

jennifaye said...

She is blessed to have you. And you are blessed as well. Thanks for sharing that.