CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Changing a Behavior

Tonight we sat outside and enjoyed the cool Spring evening. We played Name That Toon and American Idol and had fun being together. Until Daisy (who doesn't handle change very well) started whining to go in the house. (she wanted to watch tv) We ignored her until she started getting annoying, then we all came in.

I probably should have just had her come in and go to bed, since apparently she had to be tired because only tired people get whiny.

One thing I've learned about being a parent is that I am constantly learning. It's always a matter of trying to figure out how to handle any and every situation that pops up. Daisy is good at sabotaging activities where she feels like she's not being the center of attention. It's really all about control, if it (the activity) doesn't happen the way she wants it to, she starts complaining, then it escalates to whining until finally no one is having any fun. I think that will be my behavior focus for this summer, catching the bahavior before it becomes a problem and redirecting her. It's hard to do it during the school year, because I'm not around her that much.

Some days I feel like I'm putting pieces in a giant puzzle, but I'm pretty sure I don't have all the pieces. A picture is starting to form, but I can't make it out. It just drives me to try harder, I can do this.

No comments: