CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Call from a former foster child

A few weeks ago I got a phone call from a former foster daughter. Her and her sister were the first children that were placed with me. They were with me two and a half years before the placement disrupted. She had undiagnosed RAD, due to almost a lifetime in "the system".

It's taken a long time for me to find forgiveness in my heart for this young lady after what she put my family through. I was the only one who tried to help her in her life. I was the first foster parent who help arrange visitations between her and her other siblings just so they could know each other, I arranged visits at the mother's home just so they could have at least one Christmas with her, together as a family, I gave her all that I could give...but I couldn't fix what years in the foster care system did to a young girl's spirit.

So we had a conversation, adult to adult (she's 20 years old now) and I must admit it was a nice conversation. We talked about work and college, she's moved back in with her biomom, but she feels like she's not in a healthy environment. She doesn't have any children yet. She and some of her siblings have drifted apart (there's 7 of them total) She drives now, has a car. She sounded...ok, almost happy.

And I miss them...not just my first two children, but all of the ones who have been in my home. I pray that they are safe and happy, and that they have allowed God's light ito shine in their lives.

2 comments:

Bss said...

That's nice that she felt she could call you and talk. You must have been relieved to hear that things are going ok for her.
I've never had foster children, but I have worked with them. It's a shame what many of them go through in their short lives.

God bless you for opening up your life and home to children who desperately need help.

S.A.M. said...

Thank you so much.